Houston Contested Divorce Lawyer
Helping Clients Navigate Contested Divorce in Texas
When the path to marital dissolution becomes a battlefield, you need a seasoned legal ally by your side. At Kutty Law Firm, PLLC, we specialize in helping our clients navigate the complex and emotionally charged terrain of a contested divorce. As the premier Houston contested divorce lawyer, we bring our wealth of experience and expertise to your case. Our mission is clear: to protect your rights and interests while striving for an equitable resolution.
Call Kutty Law Firm, PLLC today at (713) 955-7477 or contact us online to schedule a meeting with our contested divorce attorney in Houston!
What is a Contested Divorce?
A contested divorce occurs when spouses cannot agree on the terms of their divorce settlement. This can encompass various aspects of the dissolution, including but not limited to:
- Child Custody: Disagreements over custody arrangements can lead to a contested divorce. We understand that your children's well-being is paramount, and we work tirelessly to ensure their best interests are at the forefront of any custody negotiations.
- Property Division: When the division of marital assets and debts becomes a point of contention, a divorce can become a battle. Our legal team at Kutty Law Firm is well-versed in Texas community property laws and can help ensure that your interests are protected during property division proceedings.
- Alimony/Spousal Support: Disputes over alimony or spousal support can prolong a divorce case. Whether you seek or dispute financial support, our attorneys will work diligently to achieve a fair resolution.
- Child Support: Calculating child support can be a contentious issue. We have the experience and expertise to assist you in reaching a fair child support arrangement that complies with Texas guidelines.
Contested Divorce Requirements in Texas
Before pursuing a contested divorce in Texas, it is essential to understand the specific requirements and legal grounds for such a proceeding. Texas law recognizes several grounds for divorce, including:
- Insupportability: The "no-fault" ground for divorce in Texas, insupportability, simply means that the marriage has become insupportable due to discord or conflict. This is often the most accessible ground to establish when seeking a contested divorce because it doesn't require proving fault on the part of either spouse.
- Cruelty: If one spouse has been subjected to cruel treatment by the other, it can serve as a ground for a contested divorce. Proving cruelty can be challenging, and our team is well-prepared to help you build a strong case.
- Adultery: When one spouse has been unfaithful, it may be used as a ground for a contested divorce. However, proving adultery can be complex and often involves gathering substantial evidence.
- Abandonment: Abandonment can be a valid ground for contested divorce if one spouse has left the other without their consent for at least one year.
- Felony Conviction: If one spouse has been convicted of a felony and imprisoned for at least one year, this can serve as a ground for divorce.
- Living Apart: Living apart without reconciliation for at least three years can also be grounds for a contested divorce.
When seeking a contested divorce, it is crucial to understand the legal grounds and requirements that apply to your specific situation. Our experienced legal team at Kutty Law Firm will guide you through this process and ensure your case is built on solid legal foundations.
How Long Does a Contested Divorce Take?
The duration of a contested divorce can vary significantly depending on the complexity of the case and the willingness of both parties to cooperate. In Texas, there is a 60-day waiting period from the time a divorce petition is filed until the court can grant the divorce. However, most contested divorces take longer, often several months or even years, due to the following factors:
- Complexity of Issues: The more complex the issues involved, such as child custody, property division, and alimony, the longer the case will likely take. Resolving these matters can be time-consuming, requiring thorough investigation, negotiation, and court hearings.
- Court Schedules: Court dockets and schedules can delay contested divorce cases. The availability of judges, courtrooms, and other resources can impact the timeline of your case.
- Spousal Cooperation: The willingness of both parties to cooperate and negotiate can significantly impact the timeline. If both spouses are open to settlement discussions and compromise, the divorce process may move more swiftly.
- Mediation and Settlement: Engaging in mediation or alternative dispute resolution methods can help expedite the divorce process. These approaches can lead to more efficient negotiations and potentially reduce the time required for litigation.
- Complex Property and Asset Division: Dividing marital property, including businesses, real estate, and investments, can be a protracted process, mainly if valuations and appraisals are necessary.
While it's challenging to predict the exact duration of a contested divorce, our legal team at Kutty Law Firm is committed to pursuing a timely resolution while ensuring that your rights and interests are protected throughout the process. We understand that contested divorces can be emotionally draining, and our goal is to guide you through the legal complexities efficiently and effectively.
Contact Our Houston Contested Divorce Attorney Today
In the realm of contested divorce, Kutty Law Firm, PLLC stands as your trusted ally. As the foremost Houston contested divorce lawyer, we bring unparalleled legal expertise to your case. We understand that this journey can be fraught with emotional and legal complexities, and we are here to navigate it with you. Our dedication to protecting your rights and achieving an equitable resolution sets us apart. When you need a strong advocate in your corner, Kutty Law Firm is here to provide the unwavering support and legal insight you require. Contact us today to embark on your path toward a brighter future.
Contact Kutty Law Firm, PLLC, today to schedule a consultation with our contested divorce lawyer in Houston!
Every Case is Treated with Professionalism & Respect
We Provide Legal Advice on a Variety of Legal Issues
Attorney Kutty Has Over 20 Years of Experience